RADAR RUNS online Q&A Thread

40 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:35 PM

RADAR RUNS Q&A Thread
With Special host Chris Hanson ( "Billetman" ) - driver of 190+mph MODZILLA!

With excitement brewing cheers.gif sign_beer.gif to get out to the local lake and radar run, we've set up this specific thread for forums member Chris Hanson to answer your questions about the sport. For those of you who are unaware of MODZILLA ( the sled Chris piloted for owner Lynn Anderson to a bizarre 192.2mph to date) , take a look at this video clip! We're talking one of ... if not "THEY".... badest sleds on ice!

We're thrilled to have Chris offering his time to us this season, so Fire away your questions!

http://www.andersonchassis.com/Video/Modzilla175_384.WMV

Thank you Chris You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Imagine pull'n this chunk down off the trailer, turn'n to the Bro's and say'n

"Say El-o, ta ma Lil Fren"

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-27-1134880861.jpg

#2 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:48 PM

First question for Chris:

Who's the hot blonde on that bad rocket? die.gif

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-27-1134954327.jpg

#3 Billetman

Radarruns.com 190+ club Sole member!

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:00 PM

That would be Nikki, the Wife of the guy I'm shaking hands with.

And you all thought he was congratulating me. wub.gif

#4 adrenalator8

ADVANCED DYNO

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:43 PM

So what gear ratio you running in that bad boy?

about 1.25-1?

And about what hp does it have ,give or take LOL
Advanced Dyno
(613) 925-5483

#5 adrenalator8

ADVANCED DYNO

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:45 PM

Another for you if you where to say , have a stock clutched sled and geared it say 1.50-1 what chages would you have to make to the setup to make it work.

Thanks in advance.
Advanced Dyno
(613) 925-5483

#6 David M

Frozen Thunder 120+mph site member

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:35 PM

my intrest is in 131 miles per hour with a 809 mach z using stock pipes. I have sc10 with big wheel and a .5 in profile track,144 studs.any tips for me? Thanks.
MACH ZZZZ
"I'm not old enough yet to go that slow"

#7 Billetman

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (Machzzzz @ Dec 19 2005, 09:35 PM)
my intrest is in 131 miles per hour with a 809 mach z using stock pipes. I have sc10 with big wheel and a .5 in profile track,144 studs.any tips for me? Thanks.
MACH ZZZZ

adrenalator8,
I would gear it taller than you are 1.5 to 1, say around 1.75 to 1. But it is tough to say without operating rpm, horsepower or desired mph.
(MPH needs to be realistic for the horsepower you have to work with.)

And Modzilla is geared closer to 1 to 1. How close is a trade secret.

Machzzzz

If you want to go that fast use the gearing chart and gear for 10 or so MPH less at 1 to 1, then let the overdrive do the rest.
But, I think you'll need more power to get to 130 unless you have an Infinite distance to run.

#8 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:22 PM

Chris - here's a question for ya.

Contrary to what most think for running top end numbers, is it really better to be studded heavier ?

Here's what I'm saying, on our 03 project sled, which is running the 128" by 13" track, most would say, or have advised 1 to 2 Woody's drag eliminators per bar which would give us 52 or 104 studs, yet we ran 124mph last season with 170 studs the size of your forearm :P We have recently heard from one of our secret advisers ( cool.gif ) to stay with about 170 pics down the middle of the new comoplast speedtrack, and they recommend more studs because after about 120 mph ( when we start smiling really big ) so much air gets pushing under the sled , that if you have only 50-60 studs in the track it's not enough of a bite to keep the track flat on the ice and you will slip the clutch at high speed causing you not to reach optimal top end #'s ?? Is this true .... that "MORE STUDS ARE BETTER" even for top end?

- this is a questions I'm sure I few could gain some advice from because any of the sleds I see running at the lake , even with speed tracks, are only running about 105 pics at the most thinking less rotational mass is the ticket?

Thanks

#9 adrenalator8

ADVANCED DYNO

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:40 PM

Alittle more info for you
05 mach -z with about 172hp-3000' run looking for about 130mph

Sled has run 125.9 with 1.69-1 gearing w96 studs and there wasen't much left on the primary also c+c is dead on.

I was thinking that I should keep the primary in about 1.5-1 ratio and let the torque work for me.

I doesn't cost much to give it a try if doesn't work I'm only out 150bucks
Advanced Dyno
(613) 925-5483

#10 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:48 PM

172hp ? cryps..... I should get a nitrous 'handicap' for even attempting racing that thing.... wait a minute " I WON " :P

#11 adrenalator8

ADVANCED DYNO

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:58 PM

OH YOUR A FUNNY ONE , LOL
Advanced Dyno
(613) 925-5483

#12 Billetman

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:56 PM

Spenc,
That's a tough one to answer. True the air under the sled affects traction, but on the otherhand more studs means more horsepower being used to pull those studs out of the ice.
My personal preference would be just enough traction to keep the track from spinning on the big end. This is easy enough to see. When you make a run down a virgin piece of ice look out near the end for the stud marks in the ice. They'll be hard to see but their there. If you just see pick mark you're not spinning the track, if you see some scratch marks more than likely the track is loosing traction with the ice surface.
One other factor to consider is the surface you're running on too. If the ice is white it isn't very good for traction. You need to find the black hard ice to make the most of this test. And as always sharpen, sharpen and sharpen again the studs.

adrenalator8,
You might be at the maximium MPH for the horsepower you have. You need to consider the frontal area, or hole that your sled is making in the wind at speed. That takes horsepower to make that hole and factoring that in there may not be any left to accelerate the sled, no matter how far you run.
But it can't hurt to try. Nice thing about changes is only 3 things will happen. You'll go Faster, Slower or Stay the same. I think I'd try to stick alittle closer to you current ratio. Going to 1:50 to 1 is about a 15mph change and I don't thnk you'll see the benifit of the extra gear. Try 1 tooth smaller on the bottom or 1 tooth bigger on the top. nos.gif

#13 adrenalator8

ADVANCED DYNO

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the quick reply,tryed it tonight in the 1500' test field
Pulled about 105mph but it's snow covered same conditions with the stock gearing was 110mph.

Have to get on some ice to tell.
Advanced Dyno
(613) 925-5483

#14 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:56 PM

Wouldn't it be funny'r than shyt if we all did all this work, spent all this time and $$$ and none of us tops our times from last year? LOL! That's what APEX AL has been warning.. but I can't see it...not going to a speedtrack, etc etc.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-27-1135209766.jpg

#15 David M

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:35 PM

r_c.gif Spenc
I just wanted to be clear. I don't care how much I need to spend or how bad I must CHEAT, I will go faster than last year. The only thing better then 122mph is 123mph. We can pass that on to our good friend Al :rofl
Oh and a special thanks to Chris for his responce

#16 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:24 PM

Not to worry "Super DAVE", we all know 'YOU' are going over 122mph. That nitrous kit you are having us hold for you ( on the "DOWN LOW" ) will surely send that Precambrian wheel barrel with ski's over 130mph whether "IT" likes it or not !

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-27-1135222232.jpg

#17 APEX AL

Regional Site Trail Reporter

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:06 PM

Good for you Dave!!

1 thing, that I like about someone, is when they call it the way it is!

In my book that is what you are doing, I will even help! m2c.gif

buttrock.gif Make that Mach Rock!!

FIRST !!!

Or wrench it, til no one can catch it !

#18 David M

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:11 PM

Thanks APEX AL for the offer to help.I'll take you up on any help you offer.
Off subject,,,,, George Greiken, Dave Sutton and Myself were at the lake today trying to figure out a way that we can get on with the sleds. The slush ice is not quite frozen in the centre yet. It's a long wait for ice but it wont be long now

#19 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:24 PM

Where "is" Dave Sutton? Get him on here!!! we need another 'competitive' voice

#20 Billetman

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:54 PM

"Hmmm..... ok, well.... as far as studding then we'll drill out for 170 but only put 52 in? on our 128" track that's 1 per bar or 2 every second bar... which would you recommend. Or would you go 2 per bar for the entire track for 104 studs."

I forgot to mention that it will also depend on how much longer the stud is vs. the track lug height. 3/4" above the track lug is the Length that is standard for racing. I'm also reffering to steel picks not trail studs.
I spoke to a friend that races F7's and he recommended that you start at 3 per bar. You can always add or subtract after the initial testing. If your going to drag race you'll need 50%-60% more than if your goal is absolute speed.

#21 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 04:31 PM

Thanks Chris

After hearing that advice and advice from Al Doberstein ( F7 'guru' ) who said put 170 drag eliminators back in it, we'll do just that. We'll play the stick the track to the ground at high speed to avoid clutch spin game... That's most likely why our clutches stayed 'kool' last winter. It appears this things heading for 1000' ice drags at 'The STRIP' so we'll take a shot at beating 124mph this season, but we'll be ready to HOOK UP so to speak in case anyone wants to try us on for size wanna_race.gif . Nice to have 'best of both' worlds so to speak and still have enough gear to actually drive on the trailer

[size=2]Your advice is appreciated Chris , so again thanks

#22 JDMCRX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 02:53 AM

Thats a 670 rotary no????

#23 Guest_madcow_*

• Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:32 PM

I know you dont know me chris but i spoke with you at rush city last year, so i say this as a joke,

what about rick schellbach getting his arm fixed and then getting NOS to give you a run for the money. he is a crafty man. you never know what he can come up with. heck, i bet he tried to get his sled in improved stock at least once in his life. lol

#24 mrpolaris18

mrpolaris18

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:04 AM

Well I'll be it's Madcow. Is that you Jon from Minnesota? Welcome to the forum

#25 Guest_madcow_*

• Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:35 PM

yep its me. i took your advise and wound up here.

chris is right on the studs thing. for stock 800 i was only going to run 96 picks this year, you can put your engagement on stock sleds real low. that gives your clutches more time to shift out and reduces spin on the line.

#26 Billetman

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:53 PM

"...what about rick schellbach getting his arm fixed and then getting NOS to give you a run for the money. he is a crafty man. you never know what he can come up with. heck, i bet he tried to get his sled in improved stock at least once in his life. lol"

I'll give Rick credit He never gives up and is willing to try anything die.gif

#27 PsychoJay

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:33 AM

Hello Everyone, I Found this Site while Browsing Looking for Mods for my Sled...I Figured I'd post the Video I took of MODZILLA Going 192.2 M.P.H. I cant wait until March to see If anyone can Top this Record Wow... And I heard its in the New Guinness Book.. Congrats on that!! The video is a little shaky lol... you would be shaking to If you were there hehe.... Here is the Link...
My MODZILLA Video

#28 David M

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:49 PM

Hi Modzilla
I have now acheaved my 131.8mph and find myself looking toward 140mph. In your opinion,what kind of track would you recommend for safty and speed. I have a new KIMPEX speedster track at the shop but am thinking that its not what I really want on the sled.Thanks for your thoughts.
Dave

#29 Guest_madcow_*

• Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:59 PM

depends on the rules of the race. around here a speed track would put you in the improved stock class or higher, but a flat track would automatically put you into superstock. a speed track should be fine. but if you can run the flat track you will gain some mph just in the track swap.

some people run a cleated track. witch in "old days" of racing was just fine, but some bodys dont allow that anymore.

#30 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:12 PM

Chris... How tight is DANGEROUS for gear/chain ratio's? Got one we'd love to try but the chains and sprocket/gears had to be tapped on it was so close.... is it ok to take a few easy test runs up and down the ice before GET 'N INTO ER , or would you just not bother for fear of it coming un-glued? The chain is tight... no tensioner needed at all... gearings perfect as far as ratio's but......

thanks