Regards to the "Set your timing tread"

3 replies to this topic

#1 5literttop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:00 AM

I have been reading that when boosting your car that it is good to set timing to 20 with the spout out. What does that mean?

Thanks

#2 Gixxer750

2KOOL Team Member aka The 2Kool Eye Candy

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:06 AM

Honestly that would be the first I have heard of it. I will look into it, but first I have ever heard of that sign_beer.gif
1987 GT T-Top

2Kool Moderator ( Proof that a nice set of knockers can get you somewhere in this world)

#3 STEVEB

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:42 PM

DO NOT!!,I repeat DO NOT!! adjust your timing to 20 degrees and leave the spout disabled,the PCM constantly adjusts the timing (above base timing) to compensate for changes in engine load.wherever you heard about this,it was probably done as a way to reduce or eliminate an engine ping,the best way to set your timing is start at 8 degrees initial,then reinstall the spout.use this setting as your starting point.

With the changes you've made to your engine,the best thing you could do is install a custom chip in the PCM,you can get them burned these days for just about any combination you can think of.

hope this helps

Steve

#4 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 09 December 2004 - 06:21 PM

Great to see STEVEB on the board helping with some tech stuff. Steve is a MONSTER wealth of knowledge when it comes to Stang Tech, and a very welcome member to have on the boards for everyone