Stang 5.0 VS 2.3 Foxbody

6 replies to this topic

#1 vision79

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:24 AM

As the Topics says..

If we compare 2 stangs , One 5.0 stang with manual gearbox VS one 2.3 (4cyl) stang with manual gearbox.

What are the diffrents exept the engines between these two? (if we talking axels,chassie and so on..)

Another question...how good are the 4cyl 2.3 to build turbo on?, anyone can tell how strong the bottom end is? , what gives up first?..rods? or maby the pistons?

Pls share what u got guys! bowdown.gif

#2 Gixxer750

2KOOL Team Member aka The 2Kool Eye Candy

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:16 PM

Hey Vison79 first off welcome to the site.

As for differences between the 5.0 and the 2.3L I will see about getting a good post done up for you after work today.

As for the 2.3L turbo, it is a fairly decent engine to build on since the SVO did turbo for years on it.

#3 vision79

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (Gixxer750 @ May 4 2006, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Vison79 first off welcome to the site.

As for differences between the 5.0 and the 2.3L I will see about getting a good post done up for you after work today.

As for the 2.3L turbo, it is a fairly decent engine to build on since the SVO did turbo for years on it.

That sounds super!!...waiting gladly!

Thanx

/ Jonas

#4 Gixxer750

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:15 PM

Ok so lets start with the basic differences:

The suspension in a 4 cyl is not as stiff as in a 5.0L
The Transmission in a 4cl is also not as strong, but can be used in a 5.0L if you have a new input shaft and bearing machined up.
The rear end in a 4 Cyl is a 7.5 inch as opposed to the 5.0L 8.8 inch
5.0L mustang comes with Limited Slip (posi traction) 4 cyl does not

hmmmmmmm besides the obvious lack of 4cyl between the two engines the cars are pretty much similar in body and interior. Some GT's had nicer seats, and also better rims.

I hope that helps. Any thing else you want to know just ask. That is all I can think of off the top of my head.

#5 vision79

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 11:37 AM

Wll actually i like the 5.0 better bcs of the V8 :)

But i know i will not be saticfied with the lack of power , what do u think is the best upgrade to do if u have like 1500-2500bucks to spend on it?
(We r talking about the 5.0 now)

#6 Gixxer750

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (vision79 @ May 6 2006, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But i know i will not be saticfied with the lack of power , what do u think is the best upgrade to do if u have like 1500-2500bucks to spend on it?

If you have 2500 to spend on a 5.0L and you don't already have any mods done. The first 2 you should look at doing are Full Exhuast, and a set of gears. Will make a world of difference in the cars sound and seat of the pants feel. Nextup would be a set of Frame connectors. Jeff on here (bottlfed makes his own and are quite nice)

Lets not forget the free mods you can do to free up some power. Ditch the air silencer if the car still has one, bump the timing up. Basic matinence like plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter (or swap out for a CAI.)

Next mod after all of these would be a set of good heads (looking at a big investment but well worth it) at the same time as heads get a new cam and valve train (Rockers, pushrods etc)

Lets not forget the weight savings to make the car feel better as well. Ditch the spare tire and jack, the sound deadening material if you can handle the drone inside the car (I took all of mine out and I do not find it bad) If the car has Air Conditioning and it doesn't work, ditch it, strip the front dash out and get rid of it all (I am told it is close to 90lbs when you strip it all, not sure if that is true or not my 87 didn;t have it) If you live in a place where emissions is not an issue, ditch the smog pump and run an O/R Exhuast. More weight savings and one less pully to turn. Speaking of which a set of Under Drive Pully's will help free up some horse power, as well as allow the engine to rev quicker. Ditch the stock fan, and go electric. This gets rid of a lot of drag and frees up more HP as well.

Do not forget about the suspension. Power is great but if you cant put it to the ground it is useless. Look into some new Upper and Lower Control arms as well as some new shocks/struts.

there is more but that involves boost, juice and lots of Cash. Hope this gives you an idea on where to start. Good luck, and lets see some pics of the car when you get her rolling.

#7 vision79

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (Gixxer750 @ May 9 2006, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (vision79 @ May 6 2006, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you have 2500 to spend on a 5.0L and you don't already have any mods done. The first 2 you should look at doing are Full Exhuast, and a set of gears. Will make a world of difference in the cars sound and seat of the pants feel. Nextup would be a set of Frame connectors. Jeff on here (bottlfed makes his own and are quite nice)

Lets not forget the free mods you can do to free up some power. Ditch the air silencer if the car still has one, bump the timing up. Basic matinence like plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter (or swap out for a CAI.)

Next mod after all of these would be a set of good heads (looking at a big investment but well worth it) at the same time as heads get a new cam and valve train (Rockers, pushrods etc)

Lets not forget the weight savings to make the car feel better as well. Ditch the spare tire and jack, the sound deadening material if you can handle the drone inside the car (I took all of mine out and I do not find it bad) If the car has Air Conditioning and it doesn't work, ditch it, strip the front dash out and get rid of it all (I am told it is close to 90lbs when you strip it all, not sure if that is true or not my 87 didn;t have it) If you live in a place where emissions is not an issue, ditch the smog pump and run an O/R Exhuast. More weight savings and one less pully to turn. Speaking of which a set of Under Drive Pully's will help free up some horse power, as well as allow the engine to rev quicker. Ditch the stock fan, and go electric. This gets rid of a lot of drag and frees up more HP as well.

Do not forget about the suspension. Power is great but if you cant put it to the ground it is useless. Look into some new Upper and Lower Control arms as well as some new shocks/struts.

there is more but that involves boost, juice and lots of Cash. Hope this gives you an idea on where to start. Good luck, and lets see some pics of the car when you get her rolling.

Kool! sledder.gif

Well that got me some to think about...sure iŽll put some pics up...just have to get me the car first..haha , i found one..just gotta loose up some cash and then pick it up :)...a black 5.0..clean!!