D&D online Q&A Thread

97 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:59 AM

D&D Racing online Q & A Thread

Wanted to send out a special thanks to the D&D Racing staff who have provided their help along with expert wrencher/Pro Racer Glenn Hall ( shown below ) to field questions for our FROZEN THUNDER Snowmobile Forums members and clients.

As some of you already know Glenn Hall offered his advice last winter for our own in-house Project FXR F7 sled build, helping us achieve speeds thought impossible! Needless to say Glenn and the guys at D&D share our interest in making things FAST and we're honored to be representing them here in Canada as a dealer/promoter for their world class produts. thumbsup2.gif

Please bare with any delays in having your questions answered as both Glenn and the guys from D&D are always very busy. Your questions 'will' be answered in as prompt a time frame as possible.
The new D&D Y-Pipes are now in stock here , so give us a call

Again.. thanks Dan, Dale and Glenn You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

( look forward to meeting up this year with you on the ICE )

Fire away your questions below!

For anyone who missed our 'Road Trip to D&D' last winter, here's the direct link for you
http://2koolperformance.ca/forum/index.php?showtopic=1760

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-1-1159976132.jpg
  • Attached Image: post-1-1159976144.jpg

#2 adrenalator8

ADVANCED DYNO

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:35 PM

I have a question.

I have a 99 or 2000 1000 triple cat engine and I'm looking to get somemore ponys out of it.

I'm told that these where in the 165 range stock.

What things can be done to up it alittle,I was told to base port,.035 timing key,Vforce reeds.pipes and 2.5" holes in the air box.

Something else I was wondering is what kind of squish do these 1000 like and also is there much benifit to changing the squish angle

This engine is in a 93 mxz chassie, so I will be running k&N's instead of a air box

All changes will be tested on a dyno.
Advanced Dyno
(613) 925-5483

#3 glenn

D&D Racing site Guest Speaker & One Wicked FAST Dude!

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:30 PM

Are you running pump gas or race fuel? Porting and pipes, we can approach 200hp on pump gas for short runs. Race fuel, there is potential for much more. We use the power breather, and remove the shelf in the airbox. If you can find them, the old v-force2 (grey ones) always seemed to make a little more power than the newer reeds on those motors. I am leaving town for the weekend, so I won't be able to respond till monday.

#4 adrenalator8

ADVANCED DYNO

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:01 PM

I'll run it on race fuel so basiclly what ever it takes for fuel it will get.

I will be running 2000' and 3000' runs for top end speed not et.

Thanks for the first reply

Cliff
Advanced Dyno
(613) 925-5483

#5 glenn

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:50 PM

I would go with full race porting/head specs. Maybe a little milder exhaust port to help prevent any trouble on long runs. The old D&D 1000 mod pipes work real well on the stock stroke 1000's. Could definately use bigger carbs, too. 44's or bigger with the full race setup. Should be able to make 240+ hp with stock stroke. Upgrade to stroker motor with big carbs and msd - looking at 260+hp.

#6 firecat

FROZEN THUNDER 120+mph site Member Regional Site Trail Reporter

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:03 PM

Hay GLENN,,, nice to see you here!!!!!! well my f 1000 is all most hear and Spenc has my big list of goodies for the cat, but i just wanted to make sure of one thing, so hear it goes on my 14 in track can i run 1.325'' studs in the track with no problems ?? i figured that it should be ok , because if i ran the ripsaw 1.25" and then studded that one i would need about the same stud ,,, 1.325, or something,,,, oh and 153 of them?? or should i use those stud boys that you guys are selling...... those 1.258 or what wever they were??? with angled backers,, or if you have a better idea shoot,,,, any help is a great help,, and again THANKS
When hell freezes over,, i will ride their too!!!
ALL THROTTLE.....Hmmm AND A LITTLE BOTTLE!!

#7 glenn

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:02 PM

I should think you would be ok with those studs. We ran them in the fircats with minor to moderate tunnel scratching, and the new f's appear to have a little more clearance. If you want to be sure not to scratch the tunnel at all, better go with the new 1.2something studboys. I will be running 1.5's in my one inch track!

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-1-1164756279.jpg

#8 firecat

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:20 PM

sweet,, and with your new 1200 cc monster ???? pushing 220 + hp

#9 firecat

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:25 PM

Hi glenn,, so glad to hear your sleds are doing well!! funny how people even complain about a sled being improved... oh well wicked sweet,,, any ways my f 1000 i is in, i got the call today,, can you tell me what your views are about the efi ecu's round,, square, tringle?? i know differant companys make them, but ????? when i had woes with a ill running sled ,,, the problem was curred with a swap in ecus,,, i buy 2 sled a year. and this started in 03 f7 they rocked,,, but my 04 were very poor, even after doing dd pipe, clutch ,,, v force 3, dd fuel restrictor etc,, but as a last try at something i swapped in a square 03 ecu and bam, the sled was sooo hard hitting, it rocked, so hear is my question, i dont want a ill running sled,, my dealer is giving the pick of the litter,, so does a differant ecu squ/round/ triangle/,, make any diff, cuess i can have any?? cuess you allways hear of a HOT sled right from factory,, and i want it!!! so what is your take??
THANKS!!! FIRECAT

#10 glenn

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:36 PM

Don't worry about the circle, square, triangle thing. 04 f7 ecus were known to perform poorly, and cat had updated programming to fix it. The injectors are flow tested at the factory. Injectors that vary in fuel flow are given circles or triangles, and ecu is programmed to match and marked with the same symbol. Most injectors and ecus are square. Either way, the ecu matches the injectors, so it won't run any different. If you mix triangle ecu to circle injectors or vice versa, you could vary fuel flow up to 2%, but as long as symbols match, fuel flow is the same.

#11 firecat

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:54 PM

kool,,, well i picked up a orange s/p square ecu,,, out of 10 f 1000 their was only 2,,,, funny>> one green and one orange,, well thanks again,, and as allways nice talking to you.. and as the big boy says ROCK ON!!!!!!

#12 MJ900ZR

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:56 PM

Can anyone tell me what the angles for a DD96 helix is?
stirthepot.gif

#13 glenn

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (MJ900ZR @ Nov 15 2006, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can anyone tell me what the angles for a DD96 helix is?
stirthepot.gif

Sorry for the late reply. Have been out of town, testing the new D&D 1200 in the mountains (awsome!).
I think that helix is somewhere in the 60-50 range. Maybe a little less split- like 58-52? I will try to find out and get back.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-1-1168094567.gif

#14 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:44 AM

Brother Glenn, you wild mamba Jamba

Can you please describe the new D&D "SHIFT ASSIST" that we're bringing in for our clients?

Thanks
Spenc

ITEM can be found in our www.sled-werx.com page with the clutching products ( POWER ADDERS SECTIONS) will be available to purchase separately this week Nov 27th $26 CAD
1 613 925 4015

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-1-1164732215.jpg

#15 glenn

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:51 PM

"shift assist" bearing replaces the black nylon washer under the spring in diamond drive secondaries. It greatly reduces the friction from the spring rotating, as the clutch shifts up and down. Fits all diamond drive secondaries.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-1-1164756229.jpg

#16 BRAAAPF7

2KOOL Team Member - DUNES N' DIRT Moderator

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:30 AM

Im just wondering if the PAC is worth using if running longer than 2000 feet. I know there are great gains in 660' and 1000' but is it safe to go below avg 44pounds for longer runs? Is it better to run stock EFI for longer distances?

#17 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:13 AM

will 'chime' in here for you BRAAAPF7 , we ran the PAC system on our Project FXR sled in runs over 3000. Brought pressure down to 42. By restricting the fuel we were able to gain a few extra mph on top end where it was running rich stock.

hope that helps.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-1-1164806053.gif

#18 wave

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:47 AM

hi glenn
Im riding an 03 f7 have put d+d twin,boondocker,vforce reeds, and bullseyes for this year, orange in primary and what? would i want to place in secondary for spring. I also an looking for start up #s for my boondocker in this application. the sled is efi. thanks in advance for your help wave

#19 glenn

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:33 AM

Start out with your stock secondary spring. You will need to load the motor to 78-7900 at the start, up to 8-8100 on a long pull. I would start with a +13 at 7800.

#20 BRAAAPF7

2KOOL Team Member - DUNES N' DIRT Moderator

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:06 PM

i have an 05 F7 EFI DD with bullseyes, ypipe & D&D can. just wondering what upgrade next would be a good benefit for someone who trail rides and the occassional radar run. D&D clutch kit?

#21 glenn

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:35 PM

Yes, the 05 will benefit greatly from the D&D clutch kit. I would also recommend the 10.4 secondary upgrade, while your at it.

#22 firecat

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:14 PM

Hi glen... may i ask you something?? i have the f 10,, with your y-pipe and pipe,, and clutch kit, as well the intake and boondocker from Spenc,, i dont mind a little bog or a tad rich,,, it was kinda rich from cat,, so what would be base line say starting from 3000 rpm and i trail ride it,,, but love to WOT it as well.. the spec. sheat gives me the 7800 for trail 10-10-10.. and for wot,, 10-15-15 ,,,so what do you think would be ok for the 3000--7000 range,,,, THANKS Dave FIRECAT

#23 glenn

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:06 AM

Our testing with the single pipe has found no more fuel required than stock below 7200rpm. Every sled is a little different, especialy in those lower rpm ranges, so you may have to tweak a little.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-1-1168095611.gif

#24 firecat

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:55 PM

sweet thanks again!!!!

#25 HeavyHitter

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:40 PM

Hello a question for D&D tech. Last year the CDD75 helix was used on many Crossfire's and F7's with the recall on the angles not being cut correct are these affected as well? If not how would you differenciate between the good ones and bad? Thanks for your time.

#26 glenn

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:24 AM

I don't think any bad ones got sent out in clutch kits last year. You will know right away, if it is the wrong one, as the clutching will be way too aggressive, and sled will run poorly. If you think you have a bad one, call the D&D tech line to get a replacement. If you have trouble getting through, give me a call at 715 205 2965. Or e-mail at hallnracing@hotmail.com.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-1-1168095809.gif

#27 HeavyHitter

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:44 PM

Thanks for the reply Glenn I will have to check the sleds I installed them in as I did @5-6 kits the only issue nay be that the parts were all purchased individually and not in the kit. Thanks again Glenn

#28 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:54 PM

I'll chime in here hoping to help.

This was a limited recall, only affecting about 25-30 F1000 stock pipe/y pipe kits that got sent out with a wrongly cut helix from the out-source. D&D was quick to pick up on the issue and had replacement helixes sent to dealers very quick. This wouldn't have affected any models from last season from our talks with D&D directly.

In this photo below you will see the defective helix on the LEFT and the corrected or accurate helix on the RIGHT. The difference being in the depth of the final horizontal cut. By measurement, the defective helixes from the bottom were measuring 1 3/4" , they needed to measure only 1.5 " ( approx )

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-1-1168145666.jpg

#29 KaoZr600

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:33 PM

Hello there , i recently purchased a 2000 Zr 600 and was wondering if D&D made a Silencer(canister) for my year sled, by the way its a carburated model not EFI, and while were at it is there any suggestions on other mods i should purchase?

#30 700SABER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:23 PM

I know its a little dated...but does D&D still recommend the addition of 4 bulls eyes into the airbox of the lay down 700. I have a few sitting around but never installed them. I kept hearing about losing the "venturi" affect of the airbox....also...do they have a similar effect as the old "power breathers" will the install of bulls eyes lean it out...ie should I adjust my PAC to compensate.

Thanks in advance