81 replies to this topic

#1 srpigeon

FROZEN THUNDER Northern Site Trail Reporter

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:18 AM

ONTARIO Trail Reporting:

Hi everybody,

My name is Steph and I live in Georgetown (Toronto), Ontario. I started this thread to report the trail conditions as I go out. coolani.gif
Here are the areas I cover:

-whenever the trails open around here (Erin, Orangeville, Hillsburgh, Belwood), I do these ones.
-Shelburne to Singhampton to Collingwood to Meaford (good lunch place in Meaford)
-Fenelon Falls to Haliburton
-Port Sydney, Huntsville, Bracebridge, Three Mile Lake area
-Sturgeon Falls, North Bay, Temagami, River Valley, Field and Verner area when I go visit my parents up north

So far, nothing beats the trails up north. The pole line from North Bay to Temagami ROCKS !!! Wide trails, long rolling hills, not much traffic, its like a roller coaster ride bowdown.gif .

As I hear from other trail conditions, I will post them also. Also, if you've been on an excellent (or horrible) trail ride, post it and this will help us get the best out of the season (cause we all know its wayyyyyy to short banghead.gif ).

Merry X-Mas and Happy New Year buttrock.gif sledder.gif

Steph :hallo1:

#2 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:39 AM

Appreciate your interest to be a new 2KOOL FROZEN THUNDER Snowmobile Forums Trail Reporter.

We've pinned this topic so, all site trail reporters, please post your trail reports in this thread.

Again...thanks You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-27-1135183187.jpg

#3 firecat

FROZEN THUNDER 120+mph site Member Regional Site Trail Reporter

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:34 PM

well hard packed in osgoode to greely to vernon,, its really no to bad in some spots its SWEET but others very bad like going through a mud bog.. as of dec 28 2005
When hell freezes over,, i will ride their too!!!
ALL THROTTLE.....Hmmm AND A LITTLE BOTTLE!!

#4 SDL 1UP

Regional Site Trail Reporter / NASCAR Forum Updator-Moderator

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:38 AM

Snow has crispened up overnight here in Prince Edward County. It's -5 with a wind chill of -11, supposed to be like this for next 4 days and cool at night. Maybe this will freeze up some water crossings here since our trails are mainly farm lands and some swampy areas. The swamps never had a chance to freeze before the snow came this year. Where the trails could be used before there should be a fairly good base still waiting for some fresh snow unless atv's have been on them when it was warm. I ran into this Tuesday when I was out atv's had been out on the trails over christmas when it had warmed up and turned an 8 inch base into quite a mess. smilylazer.gif

#5 firecat

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:41 PM

well trailes in carleton place are CLOSED... but still a fun ride in osgoode,, took the trail down to the river for some speed runs on a customers sled,, river is pretty smooth 6-8 in thick where i was back on the icy trail to greely and headded home still lots of riding to be had!!!

#6 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:32 AM

Hey everybody,

Hope you all had a good X-Mas, New Year's Eve and aren't feeling too bad this morning cheers.gif stirthepot.gif wacko.gif wtf.gif . I did go up north to Sturgeon Falls for the holidays and I have to say, not much snow up there banghead.gif . There was alot more around the Muskokas. I did go snowmobiling on lake Nipissing. There was about 6-9" of ice and you could even park on the edge with you car and trailer. Manage to put another 50 miles on the F8 and got it up to 93mph sledder.gif. Traction and slush was a little bit of an issue though wtf.gif .
Anyhow, looking at the OFSC web site, Shelburne, Port Sydney and Parry Sound, Seguin areas are opened with limited conditions. Hopefully, I'll get out to one of these with week and report back the conditions :nice: .

Later,

Steph :hallo1:

#7 Four4Me

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:44 PM

Happy New Year Boys

Ottawa Valley has snow but lots of wet snow has trees hanging into trails so that groomiers having tough time getting through. Need trails cleared to allow grooming. B trail from pembroke to Rouind lake is groomed but groomers couldn't get past there. Trails at Round lake and Golden lake not groomed as of yesterday. Should have a good base once the groomers can get through. Happy Trails thinksnow.gif

#8 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:32 AM

Finally went out for another good ride on Monday sledder.gif . We left from Shelburne, headed east to the B109 trail, then north on the B109 to Creemore for lunch. The trails were actually pretty good considering the low snow conditions. Due to the ice storm they had, we had to dodge the low tree branches in the bush trails. The view was beautiful though . Since it was pretty warm the fog was so bad that you couldn't see more than 3 feet ahead of your sled while crossing the fields. There were also a few mud holes to cross but nothing too too bad. Once we were done lunch, we jumped back on the Dufferin trails and headed west to Dundalk. Again, the trails were good and there was a little bit more snow there, even got a few drift jumps in the fields buttrock.gif . Once in Dundalk, we headed back to Shelburne on the rail trail. That trail was quite bumpy so we kept our speeds up to skim on top of them devil_angry.gif .
All in all, it was a great ride and the trails were in good shape. After yesterday's and today's warm days, there won't be much of a base left, and they're not calling for much snow for the rest of the week . Most of the trails are still closed due to the warmth and lack of snow . Hopefully, in the next few weeks we'll be back to cold (and normal) weather and get a KICK ASS storm smiley-faces7.gif .

Till the next ride,

Steph

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-27-1136404784.jpg

#9 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:05 AM

Here another pic:

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-27-1136404860.jpg

#10 mrpolaris18

mrpolaris18

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:40 AM

Good report Steph. I heard the trails around Haliburton were just starting to look good but now with this rain can probably burst that picture bubble as well. At least you're getting out. Mark

#11 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (mrpolaris18 @ Jan 4 2006, 11:39 AM)
Good report Steph. I heard the trails around Haliburton were just starting to look good but now with this rain can probably burst that picture bubble as well. At least you're getting out. Mark

Hey Mark,

I checked the weather for Haliburton and its -2C right now and they're calling for 10-15cm of snow smiley-faces7.gif !!!! Looks like that'll be my next ride. Its suppose to snow a little in the Muskoka and North Bay area but the trails'll be better in Haliburton.
Have you and Maddie (sorry if I got the spelling wrong...) been out yet. I'm sure she's an excited girl right now (especially from the message she wrote cool.gif )!!!

Later,
Steph

#12 kragar

Site Drag Racing Moderator

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:51 AM

Anywhere north of Bancroft is in Fine Mid season form. Met groomers all day on Monday. Put on 250 Kms.

#13 SDL 1UP

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:35 PM

trails in Prince Edward County are pretty well shot from the rain we have been getting, calling for cooler weather and flurries here for next couple of days. Have heard people are trailering north of Cloyne from here and the trails are pretty good north of there. I'll be just staying home waiting for snow, playing the spoons listening to Stompin Tom's Snowmobile song sign_beer.gif

#14 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:46 PM

cool.gif Now that dude had "MOXY"

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-27-1136519181.jpg

#15 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE (Spenc @ Jan 5 2006, 10:45 PM)
cool.gif Now that dude had "MOXY"

Had??????

Did he die? tease.gif

#16 mrpolaris18

mrpolaris18

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:12 PM

Cloyne Mazinaw and north of that are good. Guy at work last night told me Renfrew is great but from Mazinaw up is good. I figure Mazinaw, Moosehorn(where the trails are always the best, my favorite area) are good. Mother-outlaw just phoned saying it's snowing like crazzy @ Mazinaw

#17 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (mrpolaris18 @ Jan 6 2006, 12:11 PM)
Mother-outlaw just phoned

2Funny rollinglaugh.gif

But seriously..... I got $50 says she can "take you"

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-27-1136568523.jpg

#18 APEX AL

Regional Site Trail Reporter

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:25 PM

sledder.gif It looks like the Groomer has been out on the railroad bed through Spencerville.

HOLLY SMOKE it is about TIME!!! banghead.gif

FIRST !!!

Or wrench it, til no one can catch it !

#19 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:38 PM

Wanted to know if anybody has info on trail conditions in North Bay or Sturgeon Falls area sledder.gif . My buddies and I are thinking of going up north to my parents' on Thursday night and do some riding all through the weekend Celebrating_Emoticon.gif . Also, where would be the best ones to do, going north to Temagami, Temiscamingue or go south of North Bay, or west closer to Sudbury?

Any info will help

Thanks,

Steph thinksnow.gif i_need_snow.gif

#20 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:51 PM

Hey everybody,

Well my buddies and I decided last Thursday to go find snow sledder.gif . Initially, we were gonna go to North Bay but that was a right off...so we kept going north, and north, and north...all the way to Cochrane. Got there at 4AM, checked in the motel, slept 4 hours and went sledding. Even that morning was warm at 0C but at least there was snow and the trails were nice. We headed west on the A trail all the way to Kapuskasing. In Cochrane there was about 2 feet of snow but in Kap it was more like 3-4 feet, and by then the temps were at -5C and it started snowing cool.gif . We then did some of the local trail which were in excellent conditions and stayed over in Kap. Saturday morning, sledded the local trails again and made our way back to Cochrane. That day was -18 to -23C, a little colder but we were dressed for the occasion. The trip didn't go without its snags though. It ended up my sled was jetted too rich and would rev very good. I called my dealer and he told me to drop down the jettings 3 sized, from 500 to 470. Found a dealer in Kap that did it in 1 hour. The machine then revved no prob!!!! The trails there are very wide with long turns and very fast riding. You got to watch it when you tail your friends, cause the snow dust doesn't settle very fast and its hard to see. You need to stay about 1/4 km behind to be safe, and I learned that the hard way. My 3 buddies, which were ahead of me, stopped at an intersection in the woods. I thought I was following far behind and going about 60mph. Its only when I got about 50 feet from them that I saw them. I then applied the brakes but was slidding alot, so I went off the trial to slow down faster. Since I still had the brakes on, as I turned in the soft snow, the machine jack-knifed from the left ski and flipped in the air. I flew off and started tumbling. The sled landed on its side and I stopped about 40 feet further. Luckily, since it was deep snow I was OK. I did crack the left side of the hood and bent my left front ski. I guess the machine landed pretty hard cause the track slid off the guides and rear wheel. We managed to turn the track while pushing down on it and it aligned itself. Took about 6 pulls to start it, and rode slow to make sure everything was OK, which it was yaisse.gif . Still gave me quite a scare, I was now hanging back 1/2km and making sure I had 200 feet visibility in front. The rest of the ride back to Cochrane was great and we even did a night ride!!!
We left back for Georgetown (Toronto) Sunday morning and got home at 6PM. What a weekend, expensive but definitively worth it!!!!! banana.gif
Here's a few pics:

Steph

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-27-1137552672.jpg

#21 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:52 PM

Here the club in Moonbeam, just before Kapuskasing.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-27-1137552729.jpg

#22 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:53 PM

A little jump catwins2.png . Great snow conditions, might go back again if nothing happens here cheers.gif .

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-27-1137552805.jpg

#23 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:56 PM

Here's my little accident wacko.gif . I'm bringing the sled to my dealer in Bobcaygeon tomorow so he can fix it. And since I'm at over 500 miles, the sled is broken in so he'll re-tune it and add the D&D Y pipe to match my D&D fat pipe, add a 2 inch riser and re-dyno the sled catwins2.png

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-27-1137552975.jpg

#24 mrpolaris18

mrpolaris18

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:02 AM

Holy Crap Steph!! Glad you're OK. Been a terrible year for trails and you're just another example of how far we have to drive to enjoy a decent ride. Hope the dealer doesn't rape ya too hard on the repairs. Mark

#25 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:39 AM

That's why allot of us are taking to the lake

Sorry about your Crash Steph and "wicked" reports for the site! Much appreciated

Get that F 'whatever' dialed in... you should be spanking the MACH L!

#26 SDL 1UP

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:06 PM

Glad to here your ok and were able to continue on. Is this proof that cats don't always land on their feet

#27 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (SDL 1UP @ Jan 18 2006, 12:05 PM)
Glad to here your ok and were able to continue on. Is this proof that cats don't always land on their feet

Ha Ha Ha rollinglaugh.gif
Its true they don't always land on their feet, and this one landed hard too wacko.gif . My dealer did tell me that quite a few Firecat owners flip their sleds. They do have a higher centre of gravity, especially the SnoPro, so you have to get used to it sign_bullshit.gif .
One thing that really surprised me, is how good it rides in the deep snow. We did some boondocking off the trail in about 4 feet of snow and I had no problem following the Renegade. I even stopped while turning, hit the gas and the thing just climbed back on top of the snow and kept going. I guess with the lightness along with the 1 3/8" track I grab pretty good. I'd even go to say that I can follow any 136" track Crossover sled anywhere. But I'll have to test that, especially going uphill cheers.gif .

Later,
Steph

#28 SDL 1UP

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:15 PM

Heard Bancroft got 10-15 cm of snow overnight ,may be good for riding this weekend .If the trails have been cleaned up ,I think they are still cleaning up from an ice storm they had a couple of weeks ago :nice:

#29 firecat

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:28 PM

pretty good in osgoode,,, greely,,,kemptville,,, and manotic,,,,some open water but its nice and flat

#30 adrenalator8

ADVANCED DYNO

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:04 AM

Went riding up around calibogie on the weekend,trails will be in really good shape by mid week but as it was we but on 143 miles.
Started in Arnprior to whitelake over to calibogie down the k&p to eganville then a fast run to renfrew and then finally down the rail line back to arnprior

There's about 18" of snow on the ground in Calibogie and it gets depper the farther nother you go.
Advanced Dyno
(613) 925-5483