ONTARIO TRAIL REPORTING

81 replies to this topic

#31 srpigeon

FROZEN THUNDER Northern Site Trail Reporter

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:39 PM

Going to Huntsville this weekend! Won't be doin' the hardore thing though cause the trip and cabin is a 5th year anniversary gift from my wife. It'll be couple riding :nice: , but riding is riding right wacko.gif . My wife already warned me that we won't be doing the get up at 8AM, sled like maniacs till 10PM then go drinking :hallo1: .
I said no prob, we'll take a leisurely ride for a few hours, go for lunch and come back. We're staying at Blue Water Acres on Lake of Bays and she said she might even rent a sled so we don't have to doubleride.
I'm picking up my sled from the dealer in Bobcaygeon Thursday night. He's patched the crack in the cab and re-tuned it. He said the sled was still running too rich and had to back down on the oil consumption. He also installed the D&D Y pipe and the 2" riser. He's also gonna re-dyno it wanna_race.gif .
Will post pics and trail conditions when I get back!!!!

Later,
Steph

#32 SDL 1UP

Regional Site Trail Reporter / NASCAR Forum Updator-Moderator

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:42 PM

only thing to say about riding so far this year in Prince Edward County, it's sign_bullshit.gif

#33 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (srpigeon @ Jan 24 2006, 02:39 PM)
Going to Huntsville this weekend!  My wife already warned me that we won't be doing the get up at 8AM, sled like maniacs till 10PM then go drinking :hallo1: .
Later,
          Steph

Brother.... We feel your pain! rollinglaugh.gif

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-27-1138133238.jpg

#34 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:59 PM

Hey guys,

Came back from my 5th aniversary weekend in Huntsville. The wife and I did the trails around that area, including Lake of Bays and Fairy Lake. Everything was great, lots of snow on the trails and ice on the lakes (12"). :nice: The side trails were a little bumpy but still nice. All D trails were in great shape. It was also snowing like crazy when we left around 12PM, but when we got to Gravenhurst, everything changed to rain banghead.gif By the time you get to Barrie, barely any snow left. The weather in Huntsville is reporting drizzle tonight but it will stay around 0C for the week, so next weekend should be nice also. I also talked to my parents in Sturgeon Falls (North Bay) and they got 1 foot of snow, so the trails are in excellent shape there too!!!!!

Steph

#35 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:04 PM

Here's a few pics:

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-27-1138801775.jpg

#36 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:05 PM

Lots of deer also:

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-27-1138801708.jpg

#37 mrpolaris18

mrpolaris18

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:26 PM

Sweet pics as usual Steph. Happy Anniversary to you and the Mrs. as well. The family and I are heading north this weekend up around the Mazinaw area. The other night we had freezing rain and I guess up there they received 8 - 10". Want to get any riding in I guess I'm gonna have to travel. i_need_snow.gif

#38 SDL 1UP

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:45 PM

just checked Mazinaw Powerline club's trail report, updated today , says all trails are open exept trail from Kaladar to Northbrook and mp 1010 south to Gull Lake are temporarily closed :nice:

#39 mrpolaris18

mrpolaris18

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for the update sdl 1up. i_need_snow.gif

#40 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:26 AM

Hey guys,

Did some more riding last Friday in the Muskokas and had a great first half of riding, and the second half....well...

Started in Port Sydney last Friday and went east across Lake of Bays which has plenty of ice (>12") and well staked. We had lunch at the Boiler Room just east of Dwight (great place cheers.gif ) and headed north on the D101B. That is a great trail with not too much traffic and hooks up onto the main D (Seguin) trail. We then headed east on the D trail which is a rail line and is quite bumpy with the amount of traffic it receives. The D trail then turns into the C103D which we went on, less bumpy there. We then went south on the excellent C102 trail which took us to Rosseau for supper beer.gif . That's when things turned ugly. We decided to finish our trip going south around Parry Sound and back east below lake Rosseau and Joseph. By that time it had gotten pretty warm (+3C) and the southern trails had deteriorated pretty bad. We hooked up on the C trail in Parry Sound and headed south. That trail had tons of washouts and swamp water skipping i_need_snow.gif . We then jumped on the C102D east where we got lost cause the trail ends at Hwy 69 due to a landowner issue. It took awhile but we found where to cross the highway. Its now 10PM and we need gas, but everywhere was closed. We did find that there is a cardlock at the Cranberry Cove by Bala, so we jumped on the C114 trail south to get there. That trail was awefull with barely any snow and lots of mud holes wacko.gif . Finally got gas and back on track till Port Carling. This town has the worse trail markings, took awhile to find them. If you get lost there, the trail goes down highway 118 then turns on Stevenson rd and crosses Brandy lake which is staked. Finally made it to the C trail which was awefull due to the high amount of traffic they had, all 3 foot bumps. We got back to our cars at 3AM and didn't get home till 5AM. Quite the adventure but worth it. The trails are probably better now due to more snowfall and colder temps, but next time we're staying on the east and northern trails.

Later,

Steph (will add pics when I get them)

#41 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:46 AM

Had another AWESOME ride till midnight last night in Hillsburgh sledder.gif !!!!!

LOTS of snow, groomed trails and mega drifts to jump and hills to climb, can't get any better than that...and we're suppose to get more snow and stay cold for the next 2 weeks banana.gif .

We left in Brisbane on the 100 trail north. We then hopped on the B202 rail line east to the 107 north trail to Marsville. Excellent trails with very few swampy areas to cross. A few fields are bumpy due to the wind but still excellent! We then got on the 108 trail east towards Orangeville. There was one huge muddy swamp crossing close to the 15th line to we used highway 3 to bypass it and connect to Orangeville trail 201. This took us to the B109 trail into Orangeville to the 24hr Petro Canada gas station. Took a break there, gassed up and headed back through Hillsburgh on the 106 trail. This trail is awesome cause it takes you through Hillsburgh's huge hills that you can climb. A little scary when its dark and do keep an eye out for rocks. Jumped on one and it ripped one of my studs out wacko.gif . Still a BLAST though! Things do get tricky through the town due to lack of markings, heck, no markings at all sign_bullshit.gif . Got through it though and got back to Brisbane on the 101 trail.

One of my best and funnest rides of the year animals12[1].gif
That's it for a week now cause my daughter's got a hockey tournament in Sarnia on the weekend. The next ride will probably be at my parents' in Sturgeon Falls, doing the North Bay loop!!!!

Later,

Steph catwins2.png

#42 firecat

FROZEN THUNDER 120+mph site Member Regional Site Trail Reporter

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:47 PM

well... kemptville is of course icy bet groomed same as for greely ,,vernon..metcalf,, osgoode,,, stilll lots of ride time left
When hell freezes over,, i will ride their too!!!
ALL THROTTLE.....Hmmm AND A LITTLE BOTTLE!!

#43 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:40 AM

Hey guys,

Did the trails around Hillsburgh, Orangeville, Arthur, Bellwood and Fergus and they are excellent sledder.gif !!! The base on the trail is icy though, but with studs no problem!!!!

PS: Anybody for a ride in the Sturgeon Falls, North Bay, Temagami area this weekend. I'm going up Friday night till Monday and all my friends bailed on me wacko.gif

Steph

#44 firecat

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:10 PM

well did 150+ miles today trails are great from rockland to osgoode,,, so get out their!!!!

#45 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:52 PM

Went up north to Sturgeon Falls for a weekend ride. Left early Saturday morning and headed toward Temagami. Trails were EXCELLENT!!!! Lots of snow and everything groomed to a T. Did 60km and the stupid thing seized on me. Yeah, perfect condition and the F8 quit, and I was only going 70kph sign_bullshit.gif Managed to start it back up on one cylinder, ride to a restaurant in Marten River and call my brother-in-law to pick me up.

NOT IMPRESSED

Ended up going to the SnowCross races in North Bay. Dropped the sled off at the dealer's on the way back home, hopefully he'll have me fixed up so I can get back up north and do the ride I missed.

Steph

#46 firecat

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:49 PM

sorry to hear that steph!!1! the trails hear are still fine,,, just watch out for hard snow drifts!! like a rock

#47 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 04:41 PM

Hey guys,

Did the trails yesterday from Meaford toward Tobermory and then Sauble Beach. They were EXCELLENT. Everything was well groomed with not much traffic. A good variety of bush trails and field crossings. The roads are starting to get bare though with the Spring sun, but riding is great.

The only downside is that my sled seized up again in Sauble, so that was the end of my ride...and possibly the end of my season. Was gonna redo my North Bay ride next weekend but I don't have the time to bring it back to the dealer, which is a 2 hour ride from my place sign_bullshit.gif

This is what I want to do to the sled now: die.gif

Totally lost confidence in it, so we'll see what I'll do for next year wacko.gif

Later,

Steph's last snow report smilylazer.gif

#48 SDL 1UP

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:54 PM

just got home from Lake St Peter north of Bancroft. super_happy.gif The trails are still in good condition and lots of snow. Highway 62 south of Bancroft is in pretty bad shape I would not want to have to travel this road very often it's like a roller coaster.

#49 firecat

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:25 PM

well going to mattawa tomorrow,,, last week their was still 2 1/2 to 3 feet of snow,, hope its good????

#50 SDL 1UP

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:25 PM

talked to my neighbour this morning about 3 am, when I dropped his wife off. He trailered to Bancroft this past Thursday and they road from there to Petawawa for lunch, back to Whitney, then to Bancroft 311 miles. He said he was home at about 9:30 that night which would be about a 1 1/2 hour drive from Bancroft.Sounds like they didn't waist any time.He also mentioned the trails were still good and figures he should still get in another ride.

#51 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (APEX AL @ Jan 6 2006, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sledder.gif It looks like the Groomer has been out on the railroad bed through Spencerville.

HOLLY SMOKE it is about TIME!!! banghead.gif

Pretty sad for the trail guys... look at the date of this quoted post above from last season where APEX AL describes his amazement that the trails were FINALLY GROOMED ..... like a year ago to this day ( close enough ) Meanwhile, today Jan 07/2007 there's guys out "boating" walleye's on the Rideau River, and kids playing a scrumage game of Basketball across the street at the local high school ???

something is seriously wrong with MOTHER NATURE ( the naughty twisted little 'whore' she's become for sled fans )

#52 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:30 PM

No kidding,

Last year on December 26th, even though there was barely any snow, I was snowmobiling on lake Nipissing with my family. This year you need a canoe to go on it sign_bullshit.gif .

By this time the trails in Barrie had opened and we sledded to Penetanguishene and back veryangry.gif .

Now, not even in Kapuskasing there's enough snow to sled banghead.gif .

Looks like only out west they're having a blast. This El-Nino is screwing up the jetstream. Out west, it goes down to Colorado bringing all this low pressure with cold and snow, then as it crosses the prairies it goes up to northern Ontario and Quebec bringing this stupid warm high pressure air deadhorse.gif .

The only trails opened close to us are the ones around Mont Tremblant in the Lanaudiere region in very Limited conditions ( www.snowmobilecountry.ca ). If things don't get better in the next couple of weeks, that's where we're heading off 080402cool_prv.gif . The weather is calling for colder temperatures in for the next few weeks so hopefully things get better here and in Quebec for our trip. Need to get that new sled out sledder.gif . Will keep you updated.

In the meantime... popc1.gif Celebrating_Emoticon.gif sign_beer.gif cheers.gif

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-1-1168311084.jpg
  • Attached Image: post-1-1168311069.jpg
  • Attached Image: post-1-1168311054.jpg

#53 firecat

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:37 PM

WELL hears an update.... GROOMER seen in kemptville,, and in winchester,,, and as i reported river in osgoode frozen over only went 3 km south gona do some drillen,, to give thickness ,, across the board.. and riding in quebec is not the best but its riding

oh hears a side trail shot

#54 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:30 PM

COOL PICS 080402cool_prv.gif

I went on Monday to Singhampton and snowmobiled to Collingwood and Wasaga Beach using the 701 and B trails. The groomer had just passed and the conditions EXCELLENT yaisse.gif !!!
With the snow we've been having all week, more and more trails in that area are opening bowdown.gif , like Shelburne, Creemore and Dufferin County frech11.gif . I would definitively suggest checking these out, you won't regret it beer_cheers.gif .

PS: Will post pics when I figure out how to reduce the size, anybody know how to do it wacko.gif ?

Steph

#55 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:01 PM

Did the ride again in Singhampton last Friday and the conditions were even BETTER buttrock.gif !!

They had another 3" of snowfall! The only downside is one of the guys we were ridding with, in the first 5 minutes of the ride he did a corner a little too fast and because of the loose snow, his ski went off the trail and hit a tree (173).gif . Broke the ski, the shock, the spring and the trailing arm on his Edge X700 frech32.gif . He was not a happy puppy. Got it towed to a dealer and that was it for him. The rest of us continued on and had a BLAST banana.gif .
Again, the sled ran like a top and I've got about 200 miles on it so far. The only annoying thing on it is the LCD reading. Each time I restart the sled, it resets to MPH and when ridding if you turn the high beams on, the LCD resets veryangry.gif . My Firecat last year didn't do that... wacko.gif At least it's minimum.

Going back on Friday and will head to Meaford for lunch coolani.gif .

PS: I still don't know how to reduce my pics size in order to post them, can anybody help me with that??

Thanks,

Steph catwins2.png

#56 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:18 PM

you need adobe or photoshop bro... or when you take pics with your digital camera? lower the resolution... you should have a ton of settings in your camera... less resolution for more pictures, more resolution for fewer pics.. important pics like the HOOTERS chicks etc L!

#57 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:27 PM

Ok, was able to reduce the Singhampton/Collingwood pics with Photoshop 080402cool_prv.gif .

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-982-1170120334.jpg
  • Attached Image: post-10-1170167151.jpg
  • Attached Image: post-10-1170166895.jpg
  • Attached Image: post-10-1170166858.jpg

#58 SDL 1UP

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:42 PM

Trails in Prince Edward County have been groomed and are in good shape. Should be a busy weekend here.People are heading south to the county to sled now. Sounds like we have been getting more snow here than Bancroft area so far.

#59 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:40 AM

Hey guys,

Went out on Thursday and did the trails in Erin, Hillsburgh, Orangeville, Arthur, Fergus and Bellwood. The ride was EXCELLENT 080402cool_prv.gif ! There's quite a bit of snow around Arthur and you can do some wicked drift jumping in between fields buttrock.gif . Was snowblind for a bit when it was snowing and my sled dropped 5 feet under me off a drift I didn't see. It was a wild feeling coolani.gif .
We apparently have a storm on its way tomorrow so I'm going back out on these trails on Friday. Will bring my camera and take pics.

See ya then,

Steph cheers.gif

#60 srpigeon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:33 PM

Hey guys,

Did the same trails again last Friday and again the conditions were awesome too_cool.gif . We went all the way to Mount Forest this time and there is tons of snow there.

With this warm front here the trails around Hillsburgh and Orangeville are deteriorating quite quickly, so get your rides in folks banana.gif .

Going back this Friday and will start in Mount Forest and go north around the Dufferin region. They're calling for 2-4 cm of snow there in the next few days so it should be a BLAST buttrock.gif ! Will post pics!

I predict the weekend of March 3rd shall be pretty much the end of the season for Southern Ontario, especially the road trails. But I also predict next year to be a kick ass year also, with sledding from December way into March sledder.gif .

Steph