What to watch out for

3 replies to this topic

#1 mrpolaris18

mrpolaris18

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:04 PM

OK all you Pony Boys. I've mostly had Mopar performance cars but I have a line on a 67 Stang. Too good to be true price and been trying to hook up witht he owner. Looking at the car hopefully next week. What should I look out for on this car? What's the hardest or some of the hardest items to replace on it? (emblems, hubcaps etc.) Apparently it's in pretty good original shape but has the original 6 banger in it. Is it gonna hurt the value of the car if I replace the heart with an 8? I know how some people are with matching #'s and all. Any input would be great. Thanks, Mark :nice:

#2 Gixxer750

2KOOL Team Member aka The 2Kool Eye Candy

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:37 PM

Hey Mark

Nice choice on the car. Well to start, replacing the 6 with an 8 increases fun factor, but will alos drop the value of the car if a serious collector is looking for an all original car.(but hey who wouldn't want a v8)

Frame, and floor pans are big issues, check the under body of the car out very well, around the rear wheel wells is another know area, as well as the base of the strut towers under the hood.

Check for all the usual things like bubbles in the paint(usually a sign of a bad paint job allowing water to get under it, or a crack somewhere allowing mositure to get in) Bubbles are not something to be scared of by any means, just means that some preventative measures (ie. sanding and re painting) will have to be done in the near future.

If it is at all possible, check out the trunk, under the carpet, see if moisture is getting in there somehow. Again could be a hole, or crack, or just bad weather seals. Also not a big deal if you don;t mind doing a bit of work to the car. this is also true for the floor in the car itself, pull the carpet back and check it out good. Espically around where the seat bolts through the floor.

If you have access to a laser alignment machine(and I presume you would, we have one here and we are small time) spend the $50 and have it looked at, they are amazingly accurate and can tell you if the car is 1/2" off of spec.

One other thing I also find on older cars is electrical. Check it over good, nothing like finding out later that the car you bought was a nest for some mice, or the guy you bought it from did some backwoods wiring under the hood or dash.

Check fluids, and all that stuff, looks for any drips, or leaks. Let the car sit and run at idle after taking it for a drive, listen for any odd sounds, and check for weird smells comming from under hood or exhaust.

My Advice, bring your own floor jack. That way if you ask to jack it up to check bearings and tie rods the guy can;t pull the I don;t have one here excuse.

I know it seems like a lot of stuff to check, but it is your $$ and you want to be happy with it and not regret anything, and lets face it the older the car is the mroe things that could possibly be wrong with it just because of age alone.

Overall man 67 is a sweet car, will turn lots of heads, from old men to young kids just getting into Mustangs. I would love to have a classic Stang.

Good luck, keep us informed.

Any other questions I will try to help out asd best I can.
1987 GT T-Top

2Kool Moderator ( Proof that a nice set of knockers can get you somewhere in this world)

#3 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:07 PM

Parts aren't a problem.... we have a number of accounts to help with early model Mustang build ups

#4 mrpolaris18

mrpolaris18

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 12:48 PM

Well....finally hooked up with buddy bout the Stang. Been tracking this guy for 2 months now.Turns out to be one of those deals where he says right off the bat to me"My cousin's neighbour's boyfreind's garbageman says these are worth around $15,000 - $16,000." We all know how that goes. Oh well.... the quest continues and wait for buddy to come back to reality. wacko.gif