Adjusting Fuel/Air mixture on a stock Carb

10 replies to this topic

#1 Erwan

2KOOL Team Member

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:02 PM

Ok guys here it is, this could make and should make you bike run better and perform better. You'll need to find what works for you. OK here we go!

1. Its easiest if you take your carb off the bike, BUT YOU DON'T NEED TO. I took this one off, its easier to take pics and all.

2. Take the top if the carb off, the black thing where the cable goes. (You can do this with your fingers as there is a grovy part)

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-73-1107457374.jpg

#2 Erwan

2KOOL Team Member

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:04 PM

3. Take out what's inside the carb. Should be a black cylinder and a needle attached to it. I used a screw driver to help me, BUT BE CAREFUL L with the screw driver!

note: If you have your carb on the bike while doing this you probably will need to take the AIR filter off. Have your choke off so that you fit a screw driver in there to help you. The air filter side is the other side of the carb in the picture.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-73-1107457474.jpg

#3 Erwan

2KOOL Team Member

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:05 PM

4. Make sure to take the cable out of the black cynlinder carefully. then take the needle out of the black cynlinder.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-73-1107457566.jpg

#4 Erwan

2KOOL Team Member

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:10 PM

A pic of the needle out of the black thing

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-73-1107457822.jpg

#5 Erwan

2KOOL Team Member

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:10 PM

5. OK so you will see a round silver pice resting on a smaller ring, called the E ring. Kind of hard to see in the pictures, but if you look at the previous pic and then the this one you can see. NOW, this is where the adjusting comes in. Remove the round silver piece so that you see the needle as below. the little E ring on there is what adjust the mixture. Move it down one notch (towards the pointy part of the needle) and it will make it richer which means there will be more fuel in the mixture. Moving it higher shoould improve performance BUT might not! So you can also move it upwards and make it richer, which means that there will be more fuel in the mixture. You'll probably have to try many setting to get it where you want it performance wise.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-73-1107457851.jpg

#6 Erwan

2KOOL Team Member

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:11 PM

Now reverse all that I said to put it back together! Be careful to put it all back togeher the same way as it came appart or you could have some major probs! GOOD LUCK! And feel free to contact me if you need more info!

#7 kragar

Site Drag Racing Moderator

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:40 AM

Just to clarify...lowering down the needle or "raising" the clip will lean it out and visa versa for rich.

#8 Erwan

2KOOL Team Member

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 12:44 AM

Yes, thanks for catching that!

I just edited it!

E

#9 kooch

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:49 PM

ok so i did this and now when i give it full throttle it just cuts out on me or bogs out how do i fix this i have tryed evey notch on the pin???? the carb is what is making the noise?

#10 Erwan

2KOOL Team Member

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:49 PM

seems to me like your float is getting stuck or flooded in your float bowl...

take that apart, cleat it, make sure the float needle looks ok and re-assemble

If that doesn't work....may it be time for performance carb ? <--- HELL YA!!!

E

#11 kooch

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:51 AM

ok man thanks ill try that. do you have a pic of what the bowl should look like? if this dose'nt work it is deff time for a performance carb.