Detailing a Sendai TAI CHI clutch

7 replies to this topic

#1 SteveG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:16 AM

Well after a little testing on friday evening I noticed that the clutch engagement, balance and adjustment holding capability of my Tai Chi's clutch leaved a little to be desired..not that it's a bad clutch design by any means but as with anything I'm seriously anal and strive for perfection. So as the story goes I went after it and have pretty much spent the whole evening detailing most everything on the clutch that can be detailed with the hopes that I'll get it all back together for the planned testing session tomorrow afternoon thinksnow.gif For those that are new to pocket bikes or things with clutches in general I'll stress that a good working and reliable clutch is probably one of the most important items on your toy no matter how big it is or how much HP it has...without a good clutch everything else you do is pointless. Sure you can go out and spend the bucks and get a ready built "pro" unit but if your so inclined and have the means you can make a stocker work to it's fullest potential and save yourself some bucks...never a bad thing I'd say cool.gif

Anyway I'm winding down here and having a brew...thought I'd post the pictures I took of the tonights clutching drama :rofl I'll add some dialogue to the pictures too and will also add some final thoughts after I get it all back together and tested...If you have any questions or comments feel free to jump in :nice:

Picture #1

I don't know if you can make out all the details of what I was looking at and measuring but the pads of the shoes were not of equal size, shape or weight...result was vibration, uneven shoe engagement, set screws that would not stay set ect ect. By the way since having a "round" clutch bell is extremely important I tested my clutch bell with a DTI in my lathe...less than a couple thou of run out...not bad at all I'd say.

Picture #2

First thing required so I can match up the shoes for radius, pad thickness ect ect is a fixture of some kind so as to hold them square to my belt/disc sander which was my means of re-machining the pads. Be warned that anytime your doing something similar to clutch pads, brake pads ect wear a mask...you DON'T want the pad dust in your lungs !! Anyway I found a scrap chunk of aluminum left over from another project that would become the holding fixture for the shoes...need to square up the bottom surface first so it sits flat on the sanding machine's table, off to the lathe we go.

Picture #3

Okay the bottom is squared, flipped it over in the chuck, what you see now is the end that needs to measure the same as the mounting pins on the clutch backing plate...

cont...

#2 SteveG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:28 AM

Seems I'm only allowed 3 linked images per post ??

Anyway...

Picture #4

Finished fixture with reasonable tolerances...and a pile of aluminum shavings to boot.

Picture #5

Puurrrfect fit...machining mission accomplished :nice:

Picture #6

All ready to make some clutch pad dust...one slip of the wrist and I ruin the whole thing !! Spending some time squaring the sanding table to the sanding disc is crtical here too !! Anyway...a little touch on the sanding disc and measure...little touch and measure again...and so on and so on. I think this part of the process alone took well over an hour wacko.gif

cont...

#3 SteveG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:37 AM

Picture #7

The finished product...all 3 measure pretty much the same in radius and thickness.

Picture #8

I went a little further with the shoe detailing...6mm reamer required !! After reaming the pin holes and doing a little filing and de-burring the shoes now pivot very smoothly on the polished backing plate pins shown in the next picture cool.gif

Picture #9

Polished backing plate pins...

cont....

#4 SteveG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:44 AM

Picture #10

Lets see how close I was with the sander...remember I said one slip and it's all over....lucky me, they all weigh 15 grams and the clutch should be pretty decent now in terms of balance :nice:

Well thats it for tonight...getting up early in the morning to assemble and rough adjust the clutch...hope to take more pics and add some thoughts on the results of the work I did later tomorrow cheers.gif

#5 Erwan

2KOOL Team Member

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:13 AM

That's wicked!

VERY GOOD INFO!!!

howyoudoin.gif

E

#6 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:48 AM

No.... that's ANAL !!! tease.gif :P

Bro.. you're 'wacked' but wicked info for the readers. Now BAKE that suck-a before you test it!

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-73-1119185320.jpg

#7 SteveG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:59 PM

Well I just went for a test...in our PRIVATE parking lot...and also just pulled the clutch housing...ouchie...that sucker was still HOT :o Anyway I got nice even contact patches on the friction pads, adjustment held up perfectly and best of all the clutch vibrations were reduce considerably :nice:

Okay it's going in the wagon...I'm off to the big lot at the warehouse, hope to feel more of that Raped Ape power band everyones been telling me about thinksnow.gif

#8 SteveG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 11:09 PM

Geesh...you'd think I was a pocket bike junkie or sumthin...almost midnight and I'm still tinkering with my bikes :P Blew a wheel bearing on the 47cc bike which explains why the chain went south on my brother...cheap azz bearings ! Will get a couple new ones in the morning from a local supplier.

Anyway I can't take a pic to show you all what I'm lookin at cause I'm outa AA's for my digi cam, damn kids and their gameboys, but after riding mostly all day I'm very please with my clutch :nice: ...it comes in smooth then grabs like a mofo right where it's supposed to, friction pads got a nice even glaze on them, the adjustment held up all day, drum looks good, bearings feel nice....I'm 100% happy camper cool.gif

Whats next ? Tire balancing thinksnow.gif