Sled-werx Racing - Project Dragon 800sp

119 replies to this topic

#91 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:37 PM

yes I know we took off last weekend to go have FUN with some clients/friends for our POKER RUN

will be back on the ice testing this weekend

hang in there... looking to improve on our 1000' times and try a top end run

#92 AK49

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:52 PM

Hey spence, i have another speed trick for the d8. The chaincase on these is the same as an 05 iq 900. The 05 900 uses a roler tensioner as compared to the d8"s plastic rub against high friction type. A guy i know told me about it and said his pulls a little more on top end now. I just thought since it looks like your pullin out all the stops useing all the tricks in the book that you might want to use this tip in your build. it woild obviously make the chaincase more efficient! its only 50$ or less from your pol dealer depending on your discount. good luck.

#93 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:01 PM

you're saying the roller tensioner in the 05 iq 900 will fit in the 09 chaincase or you'd have to swap the entire chaincase?

good tip, first we've had to deal with it and it does look restrictive

#94 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:39 PM

TRAIL TESTING UPDATE

got to Pembroke, took Jeff Whitteker - has an 09 IQ 800 stock clutching/unstudded, he picked it up from Crossing's Polaris in Prescott.

lots of snow up there, they got more last night again!!!

had a great time, 215 miles.. went to Barry's Bay on Sat then went on another short loop today before coming home, some really great views over on the B Trail South at Lac Coulonge East of Pembroke lots of snow we had to break trail today in a few places and caught a few fence lines with monster drifts, lots of air it was a blast and the Dragon just EATS up as much as you can possibly handle physically, it's just SICK what this suspension will soak up while looking for more!!!

adjusted the rear suspension shock to the #8 setting and that has helped with bottoming out

there was no comparison in the two sleds whatsoever performance wise with the Dragon clutched with the Dyno Port kit, studded and running the CURVE XS skis.

first day to report fuel milage and as we expected we were down below 10mpg and that's just not acceptable for a CFI sled in 2009, regardless of how hard we drive. Talked to Charlie Fox ( local sled enthusiast and friend ) who is running both the 09 Ski-Doo 800R and the 1200 4-Tek and mentioned the carb'd 800R is getting better milage than any of the E-TEK models in their group as well as the 4-Tek >? imagine that, CARB's in 2009 completely embarrasing CFI in fuel economy

9.7mpg is what we recorded today 91 premium with wires plugged in.

in comparison the IQ 800 was 8.7mpg ( lots of track spin in loose snow )

Attached Image: post-1-1235345896.jpg

B trails in Pembroke area are "EXCELLENT" - stay away however from the Killaloe area South West of Pembroke, it has 1/4 the snow and rocks/water/mud, it's really bizzare, you are driving along south East of Barry's Bay and you just run out of snow completely in this area

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image: post-1-1235345946.jpg

#95 AK49

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (Spenc @ Feb 20 2009, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you're saying the roller tensioner in the 05 iq 900 will fit in the 09 chaincase or you'd have to swap the entire chaincase?

same chaincase, so you can use the 05 iq roller tensioner in the d8 chaincase. I put one in and it fits perfectly but havent tried it yet in the field.

#96 Zr580

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

Heyy I would like to know if I can polish my tunnel like that the only thing is that it is factory painted but its starting to peel off. :ont :(

#97 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:49 PM

yes you can but you have to carefully strip the paint off using aircraft stripper, then wet sand flat, then polish with Busch... it's allot of work for most but the results may be worth it to you

Cheers
Spenc

PS: thanks AK49

#98 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (AK49 @ Feb 23 2009, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Spenc @ Feb 20 2009, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

same chaincase, so you can use the 05 iq roller tensioner in the d8 chaincase. I put one in and it fits perfectly but havent tried it yet in the field.

Have you tested that 05 iq roller tensioner? the stock D8 one is built to wear but it seems to be wearing at a pretty decent rate, surely worse with stock gearing - part #?

#99 AK49

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:09 PM

I am gona try it toonite but the polaris part number is 1341437.

#100 Zr580

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

heyy I would like to know who many times you can polish your tunnel with one bottle of busch.Because Im planning on stripping my paint of with some aircraft stripper like you said and polishing my tunnel.

#101 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:27 AM

8 or more times i would imagine, you don't use allot and it's a fine liquid base polish

#102 Zr580

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

thanks for the info. Ill be getting on this project soon and Ill be getting some of your busch polish later on. where could I find some of that aircraft stripper ?

#103 Captain America

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:19 AM

What comes with the sled Spenc?

#104 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:28 AM

Sled comes as set up during testing with Roetin Hornet/Scorpion studded 14" hacksaw track, Wahl wear resistent idlers, Dyno Port Clutching with our Stage II gearing ( Lake or Trail ), VForce3 reeds, stock and spare XS 809 Carlisle belt, some Royal Purple Oil, New POLARIS Tunnel cargo bag ( used once )

sorry but we're keeping the CURVE XS ski's

#105 polaris_dave

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (Spenc @ Mar 24 2009, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This project sled is now FOR SALE

$9500 CAD as tested, extended warranty

I would be curious to hear your final overall impression of this sled. Were you able to line up against any other sleds during the winter? Did you have any engine issues?

What was your best gearing combo in 1000'?
Thanks

#106 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

Ride quality, Handling & Trail Manners - VERY GOOD. This model would easily score Excellent in this area if the rear shock package was more properly dialed-in for the average wieght rider 'from the factory'. We purchased this SP model because of the highly touted Walker Evans shock package which was priced at approx $800 over the standard IQ model; what we found however was the rear shock set up was inconsistent and bottomed out at times even under adjustment. Having said that we have yet to test a sled with a stronger more balanced and stable front end making this chassis in the SP version excellent overall even with our disappointment with the rear shocks. There were many days when we went out focused on torturing the sled in the rough stuff and the front end would take all we could give it to a point bodily injury would be the result not damage to any of the sleds components. With the CURVE XS ski's the sled on the trails was like a rail-car, the sled remains flat and consistent in the corners and a number of our fellow riders commented on how exceptionally stable and flat the sled appeared and felt in the corners at high speeds - both from behind while visually following our sled as well as while test riding. The switch for us to a softer seat foam ( shown early in the build ) paid off on the trail. We were not big fans of the tiny seat on this model however once on the trail realized its value in being able to move around from side to side in the corners better as on sleds with a traditionally much larger/wider seat. The foot wells in the SP model were excellent allowing a strong toe hold while working the sled in the corners.
Reliability - SATISFACTORY. This model suffers from poor factory mapping which Polaris is apparently working on 'After the fact'. Although we had no issues with our own model other than a handful of fouled plugs an alarming # of these sleds suffered piston and cylinder wall damage due to poor piston quality/design and inconsistent heating/cooling issues. We had a heating issue with our unit but dealt with that by diluting the coolant mixture. We feel the lack of fins on the rear heat exchangers as well as the inside depth of the exchangers is a factor in this sled models inability to cool properly and consistently.
Sled Weight - VERY GOOD. We think the manufacturer was a bit off in thier 475lb dry weight however the sled feels VERY light and nimble and that helped it score well in the Ride quality and Handling/trail manners area. In this area we not only judge a sled by it's actually weight but also how the sled generally 'feels' weight wise while driving and manuvering on the trail. One of the aeas we are most interested in with our trail testing is how a sled reacts to landings after becoming air-born, this is an area where the D8 shines. Sleds of similar weight tested in the past did not fair as well on landings as the D8 SP did during our testing. After becoming air-born the D8 SP returns to the trail very balanced and in control for such a light sled where some will tend to buck and twist especially in rough conditions. Make no mistake this sled models ( SP ) front end loves the rough stuff!
Economy - POOR. Although oil consumption was reasonable, gas consumption at 9 mpg or under (while aggressively driving) does not score it well in this department. As well the electric fuel gauge is not accurate, meaning when FLASHING on empty there's still close to a full 1/4 tank of gas in the sled. - the manufacturer should go back to a manual fuel gauge cap indicator for 2010 if they cannot get the digital sending unit working more accurately

BOTTOM LINE: For us, the problems associated with this sled were fixable to point of getting the season in while having FUN. We showed that even without a more balanced fuel map this sled can be an overachiever in the 800 cc class of 2009 with proper tuning and set up. With the addition of a narrower track, excellent clutching ( Dyno Port ) and gearing ( our own recommended Stage 2 gearing whether LAKE or TRAIL ) as well as a few other minor tweeks as mentioned in this on-site build this sled is a handful and a blast to ride. IF Polaris comes to bat for all 2009 800 CFI owners with a legitimate and well tested FIX for the poor factory mapping and inconsistent cooling issues that plagued this sled this season this will be a HOME RUN for owners and a sled we'd highly recommend for 'aggressive trail performance'

Cheers
Spenc

RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS for hardpack trail/lake running performance

Camoplast Hacksaw 121 x 14" track 1" lug, fully clipped
Dyno Port Clutch kit with or without Stage II gearing ( Trail or Lake versions available )
VFORCE 3 reeds
Remove dash air vent foam
Wahl Borthers wear resistent rear idlers, modify rear axle place wear resistent idlers inside the rails
NGK BPR9EIX spark plugs

#107 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

Talked to dealership this morning and and wanted to pass on a note

Apparently POLARIS was looking forward to getting our stock top end kit back knowing we've been doing a number of product tests with the sled etc and we have no engine problems last season .

Our original parts were in perfect condition at 2000-2500 miles - and again we atribute this in our opinion from running inconsistent throttle and staying away from the lean midrange problem. The dealer mentioned the sleds that went down or are showing damage during the UPDATE kit overhauls were sleds running more consistent throttle in that 5500-6500 range. Dealer also mentioned they had a few sleds with over 4000 miles that looked perfect when installing the UPDATES and figured they were most likely riders who were not driving slow, or at midrange for extended periods

Not sure if the ROYAL PURPLE Snow 2-C we were running helped but back with our 03 F7 test sled ( where many went down ) we tortured that test sled and never had a problem

Dealer is going to hang on to our original parts so we can take some pics, and mentioned the new mapping provided for an increase in fuel in that troubled rpm range, however Jim at Dynotech as most of you know and through Wayne showed that the UPDATE parts still provide for a very lean midrange if not worse than last season. Jim mentioned this morning and we can attest that more PC5's are being sold this year for non-piped sleds because guys are detonating WITH the new UPDATE kit, moreso than last season

Jim mentioned he's working on a PC5 walkthrough and will either post on his site or on HCS.

Will be continuing with our testing here shortly and will provide info on our site in that specific build thread

again sled with orginal top end kit before the UPDATE was run with 91 octane, Royal Purple oil, VForce 3 reeds, coolant diluted 60/40, NGK Iridium plus, foam taken out of air intakes and wires PLUGGED IN
and of course with the Stage 1 Dyno Port clutch kit and gearing mods from our testing

Cheers

#108 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

BLACK CORNER's Polaris in Carelton Place Ont provided the UPDATE on our project sled and service was just EXCELLENT!

New TIED clutch is extremely 'smooth' and nice to get rid of the ER clunking

as far as the new UPDATE on stock pipe/stock mapping no real issues today running 91 octane , wires plugged in about -9, -10 as far as outside temps... a few spots could be corrected to the new mapping to smooth out some hesitation at lower rpm's but otherwise or 'so far' al good. Engine temps are staying under 126 degree's on short runs, climbing to 140 on long runs. We'll stress again the cooling system on this model is very insufficient

rpm's are down from pre-UPDATE with little to no miles on Update top end.....as day progressed but MPH and RPM started to climb

will get more miles on before adding pipe set and PC5

Jim has provided the PC5 maps to date, as well we have Wayne's latest Update kit/SLP set map so we'll be offering downloads before shipping to all Canadian PC5 purchsers through our site

#109 Captain America

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

Spenc

When will you be testing the team tied? I would like more results before buying.

regards
Peter

#110 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:37 AM

Peter - we have been out testing , however weather has not been co-operating for the most part

the TIED clutch is a great addition, the sled just feels better overall in acceleration and backshifting and is far smoother than the stock clutch. In our opinion 'this' is the clutch the IQ should have come with.

#111 Captain America

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:08 PM

Great to hear....I would like a quote on the team tied with recommended helix. I already have the pcv and dynoport clutch kit from you. I also want a price on best gearing for 1000ft drags. From what I read the 23/35 seems to be your best, unless something has changed since getting the update done. I installed the Jan 1st stouter map tonight and the sled spins even more on the start now.

#112 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:09 AM

We are providing a SPECIAL on that TIED clutch,helix/spring combo right now from the STAGE II kits

TIED DRAGON 800 CFI Combo
Site SPECIAL
with helix and spring $409 reg $435 IN STOCK
Field tested at TEAM for SLED-WERX Racing!
includes: Tied clutch #421511
red/blue #210-181 spring
77 59 .56 / 77 57 .56 ER Helix
3-4mph top end improvement over stock!

for 1000' drags running a 14" track with moderate to light driver weight we'd recomend 22/36 gearing 1.63 ratio but a much smaller overall size / weight allowing more HP to the track

test away as this is what "WE" prefer

that is $439 CAD before tax

#113 Captain America

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:06 PM

I'm not a light weight rider by no means. 240lbs without gear. What now?

#114 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:21 PM

Dynojet PC5 - Sled-Werx TRAIL MAP

Getting a chance to get some trail testing in today and wanted to report results

Polaris should be thankful to Dynojet/Dynotech Research and all us 'tuners' that are curing the 800 CFI of the fuel mapping issues that have caused many owners fits

Today we tested our TRAIL MAP which is a map I modified from the latest map we've been providing from Dynotech Research from the Latest Jan 14th FLASH

The map we're testing today has fuel reduced at 500-2500rpm to cure fouling plugs as well as a few more tweeks to the midrange and top end

with the Thermostat removed and in good trail conditions ( for cooling ) midrange running temps at 60 mph are consistently 110-120 ... EXCELLENT! the sled has gobs more power in the midrange and it's getting the fuel it needs. BEFORE the PC5 temps were 135-145+ when running / testing that midrange position - rpm's have increased on top end - the sled just has MORE POWER THROUGHOUT!!

THIS is the way the sled should have been delivered to the public!

BEFORE adding the PC5 we had to stay away from the lean midrange to keep temps down, we were constantly mashing the throttle cooling the engine with the very RICH top end factory mapping - now we can cruise safely at 50-60mph while temps stay very acceptable under 125 degree'

Attached Image: monthly_02_2010/post-1-1265633958.jpg

The PC5 with our TRAIL MAP tested today 'or' latest Dynotech Research STOCK PIPE map in our opinion is money well spent!
Cheers
Spenc

#115 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:56 AM

PC5 TEST DAY coming up - stay 'tuned' Pictures, times , mph 1000' NO B.S PRODUCT SHOOTOUT ( we wouldn't have any other way )

Attached Image: monthly_02_2010/post-1-1265987038.pngAttached Image: monthly_02_2010/post-1-1265987054.jpg

Attached Image: monthly_02_2010/post-1-1265987269.gif

#116 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:13 AM

yesterdays test day had to be cancelled due to weather conditions that kept setting off our timing system, as well as wind which was affecting the sled down the track

Thanks for taking the picks Jay!

Attached Image: monthly_02_2010/post-1-1266163969.jpgAttached Image: monthly_02_2010/post-1-1266163983.jpg

#117 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:50 AM

We're hearing a number of consumers are still having over-heating issues after the UPDATE KITS

After extensive in-field testing we recommend you check your coolant concentration, should be no stronger than 60% antifreeze to 40% distilled water and remove your thermostat. We feel that leaving the thermostat housing in the sled still causes too much of a coolant flow restriction in a very poorly routed coolant system from the factory

Add fuel to the lean midrange with a BOONDOCKER or PC5 ( for those reading the site forums here, mention you saw FREE SHIPPING and we'll extend help to you ). We are providing both Dynotech Research latest post Jan 14th flash maps for stock and SLP pipe as well as our own field-tested SLED-WERX TRAIL MAP which clients are having success with.

By doing the ABOVE we have lowered our on trail operating temperatures from 140+ to 110-125 degree's

Another item we feel is very important on this sled is the SLP IQ Push Arm part # 23-63 which limits engine vibration
NGK Iridium plugs everyone is finding success with = BPR9EIX

Cheers
Spenc

#118 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:30 AM

Tested our recently tweeked TRAIL MAP again over the weekend - was BANG on even in extremely poor / warm conditions, test sled has a VERY DIRTY midrange with our map and is providing better fuel milage

best midrange pull of any N/A sled we've tested

Last year in same 'group' of riders per fill up we were $12 more than the Apex's in our group.... with our TRAIL MAP we were around $7 more Group of riders was very impressed when test riding the sled this season and noticed how SMOOTH the sled's power was with the PC5 and our mapping

NOTE: a few of our test riders that drove the sled very easy had our temps climbing in +3 degree weather, however when the sled was driven at aggressive trail speeds those temps even in such warm conditons quickly came right back down under 120 degree's . These sleds cannot be babied - they need to be driven hard!

Our test sled is once again running excellent and we'll now feel confident in passing it on should a buyer approach. It's better for us to move on to another sled ( most likely the 800 Etec ) but it will be hard to let this sled go now having it running so well

Our test riders over the weekend all agreed it was the easiest, most stable of all the sleds to ride and power is instantly on demand with the PC5

#119 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

This project sled is now FOR SALE

$7599 CAD "FIRM" or $6800 US

sled sold as tested - stock and tested parts including PC5 , excluding CURVE XS ski's and Team TIED secondary clutch ( add $700 if interested )
no mechanical issues run on Royal Purple - 91 octane

#120 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:42 PM

This sled-build has been SOLD to Simon Fisher

Good Luck Simon, have fun!
Spenc