Other sites taking donations?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:42 AM

Just wondering what the general consensus is, about other less popular sites accepting donations to help with site costs/prizes and events?

#2 Gixxer750

2KOOL Team Member aka The 2Kool Eye Candy

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:15 PM

You mean taking money to stay rich. i know of no other board that offers prizes for it's memebers. just one of the many Kool things about being involved on this site.

Oh yeah donations suck when you don't know the people. Like giving money to some person walking down the street just because they are there.

Most sites make money from the advertisements on the board. So to ask people for money is crazy.

As far as knowing where the money is going and seeing it be used for the overall benefit of the users/board that is cool, but when you have sites with 50,000+ members, if they all contributed $1 a year that is $50,000 that board takes in. Working in IT i know that it does not cost that much cash to run a website. initial start up, and monthly server bills are the biggest expense. and if sites are saying that it costs over $4000 a month(going off my 50,000 figure) then they should be buying there own IBM pSeries server for $6000 and run the board off of that.

m2c.gif

#3 Guest_Spenc_*

• Guests

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:56 PM

Agreed.... But we too see the board growing and more costs being associated with that growth. Right now it's costing on average $100 per month to run the site 24/7 with updates and server costs ( that's minimal ) If we decided to do something like this, it would be up to the readers of the board to decide , per year what they felt was reasonable. At that time, all expenses would become public and what we'd do with the left over cash would freak out the net I'm sure, because we'd have MONSTER prizes all the time for our members... yes.. moreso than what we do now which is ten-fold over any site on the planet!

#4 BuzzHaze

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:59 PM

Its quite common to see a "donation" button on forums now-a-days. I belong to a Lincoln board for example:

http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/donation.htm

If we want to see the board expand and improve, it's necessary. Consider it like a "co-op" ...we have access to super deals that will pay that fee 10X over on a single purchase. I have donated to a few boards and never regretted it....money well spent.

Keep in mind that the information on this forum can save you big $$ in mistakes and uniformed purchases. You can count on me donating to this site.